Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

New Years Eve- Cream Puffs

Well It was new year's eve and as I said I have challenged my self to start Blogging in 2010. So I thought why should I wait for the new year to start, what better way to welcome the new year and Start my blog.

It so happens that I was invited for a NYE party and I was wondering what to bring, it was ether English trifle or Cream puff. As you can see I ended up making Cream Puffs.

Puff dough(Choux Pastry)
250g Butter
625mls water
375g flour
10nos Eggs (50g each)

Method
Bring water and butter to the boil. Pour in flour and mix over heat till it forms a dough and comes off the sides of the pot. Take the pot off the heat and let it cool for 5-10 mins or you could put in to a mixing machine on low for 5 mins just to let it cool. (This is to make sure the eggs are not scrambled when added into the mixture.) Add the eggs one at the time and mix well and continue adding the eggs one at the time and mixing till all the eggs are incorporated.

As you can see in the first picture I made and mixed the pastry by hand.

After that fill the mix in to a Piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle and line a baking tray with a silicone mat or parchment paper and pipe as the picture above, remembering that the pastry will expand, so leave some room for it to expand and this also allows it to cook evenly. with an oven pre-set on 170C, bake it for 15-20 minutes or till golden brown. (things to look for if its done, its light in weight, not to moist in side and holds its shape when taken out of the oven oh yes also it is hollow in the middle)

Custard Filling
1 lit Milk
110g Caster Sugar
85g Cooking Custard

Method
Bring 800mls of milk and sugar to boil. Mix remainder milk in a bowl with the cooking custard till there is no more lumps left. when the milk and sugar has come to a boil pour in the custard mixture and using a whisk mix both mixtures till it thickens and is even in consistency. (*note make sure it doesn't burn at the bottom.) take it off the heat and pour in to a container to cool slightly before putting in to the fridge to chill completely. To make sure no skin forms on top of the custard place plastic wrap or a piece of paper sitting on the mixture when cooling. ( this custard mixture can be made the night before or before the Choux pastry is made)


when completely chilled pour the custard in to a bowl and whisk the custard so that it would be easier to pipe in to the puffs. Fit a Piping bag with a small nozzle and fill the piping bag with the custard mix, pipe the custard in to the puff from the bottom of the puff. then there you have it your first Cream puff!!!!

Other things you can make from cream puffs
Croquembouche( picture at the bottom)
I wanted to assemble all the cream puffs but I remembered that some people at the party are diabetics so I did only a small version just to show here on the blog how easy it is.

A close up
Profiteroles

*Note for coffee flavored custard is desired one shot of coffee per liter of milk should do the trick. coffee shot to be added only after the custard is chilled.

Oh my!! I am done with my first blog!!! well see you around soon!!

1 comment:

  1. Great looking couz... I must try that some day! :-) When I'm in the mood... was going to do something similar for Christmas or NY but ended up not... & was too engrossed in my cookies! *hehe*

    ReplyDelete